1. Lunch with the FT: Mikhail Khodorkovsky
2. Blattman on Russian politics, and other stuff.
3. Tyler Cowen asks a rather odd question…. “Are anthropologists better than you think?” My simple answer is yes. I wish it were possible for everyone in the world working in development to take Jim Ferguson’s Economic Anthropology graduate seminar (or simply read this book), or David Laitin’s Political Culture class which includes works from brilliant anthropologists, both old and new. Plus my better half and a few close friends are anthropologists; and I can tell you from first hand experience that once you get through the jargon the field emerges as the mother social science [although in characteristic fashion none of the anthropologists I know would ever admit this].
4. Governance is hard. And now it is ISIS’ turn to find out.
5. 50 Shades of Poor: Who exactly qualifies as “middle class” in Congo?